||Philander Smith College is accepting applications for our new Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA) program. The first cohort will start in April 2023.
The Certified Nursing Assistant/Home Care Aide Program focuses on safe and effective functioning when providing client care in the healthcare setting and/or the home environment. Emphasis is placed upon assisting clients with daily living and performing fundamental skills.
To learn more about jobs for Nursing Assistants, please visit the following websites:
|Who to Contact
||Rolanda Carner, RN, MSN/PH
||CNA Admissions Application is now open.
||Admissions decisions will be made 2 weeks prior to the class start date
|Class Start Dates:
Classes start every 6-8 weeks.
|Upcoming 2023 Start Dates:
- April 3 (Apply by March 13)
- May 15
- June 19
- July 31
- September 11
- October 23
- December 4
Please review the following admissions requirements to apply for the degree.
- At least 18 years old
- High school graduate or have earned a GED
- Able to read, write, and speak English
- Have a Driver's license or State ID
- Have a Social Security Card
- Pay $100 nonrefundable Application Fee
- In good health and able to bend, twist, and lift at least 50 pounds
- Free of communicable diseases
- Can provide current immunization record
- Influenza vaccine during current flu season
- Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Rubella (MMR) 2 vaccine doses or positive titer
- Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis (Tdap) within the past 10 years
- 2-step Mantoux tuberculin skin test (TST) or clear chest X-ray
- Varicella vaccine or positive titer or medically documented history of disease
- Hepatitis B 3 vaccine series or positive titer
- Fully vaccinated against COVID-19
- Able to clear Background Check
(For more information, please review the list of disqualifying criminal offenses.)
- Able to pass a Drug Screening
- Not listed as a sex offender
|Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the deadline to apply?
The deadline to apply for the April 3 cohort is March 13.
- When will I know if I am accepted or not?
Applicants will be notified on March 20.
- When is the first day of class?
The Class start date is April 3.
- When is the last day of class?
The Class end date is May 3.
- How many days will I be in the classroom?
The CNA program has 19 days in the classroom focused on theory and labs.
- What are the classroom hours?
Class hours are from 8:00 am - 12:30 pm daily.
- How many days will I be in clinical?
Students will be on the clinical site for 3 days
- What are the clinical hours?
Clinical hours are 7:00 am - 4:00 pm off campus
- How many weeks does the program last?
The program is 5 weeks. The last week of class is clinical and practical exams.
- How much does the CNA program cost?
The CNA program costs $700 which includes a non-refundable application fee of $100.
- Are scholarships available?
Scholarships may be available for those who qualify.
- What colors are the uniform scrubs and where can I buy them?
Uniform scrubs are black in color. Philander Smith will provide one (1) uniform scrub for each accepted student.
- What if I have a criminal record from my past?
Unfortunately, some criminal history will not allow you to work in the medical/health field. Please review the list of disqualifying criminal offenses.
- When does the next cohort start?
May 15, 2023
The application deadline is 3 weeks before the class start date.
The admission deadline is 2 weeks before the start date.
- Where will the classes be held?
The classes will be held on the Philander Smith Campus in the Harry R. Kendall building on the second floor in room 204. The clinical labs will be held in the same building in room 103.